Chapter Council -
A Timeline of Important Events
- 1898 - Medical Library Association meets for the first time in Philadelphia.
- 1943-45 - World War II forces the cancellation of the Annual Meeting of
the Medical Library Association.
- 1947 - The first meeting of the Northern
California & Nevada Medical Library Group is held on November 12th
- 1948 - MLA celebrates its 50th Anniversary in Philadelphia. Eileen
Cunningham's Presidental Address looks forward to the next 50 years..
- 1948 - Medical Library Group of Southern California (later Medical Library
Group of Southern California & Arizona) is formed.
- 1949 - The first New York Regional Meeting (later the New
York/New Jersey Chapter) is held on March 9th.
- 1950 - Midwestern
Chapter meets on January 27th.
- 1950 - Janet Doe writes an editorial encouraging the
development of Regional Groups.
- 1951 - The first meeting of the Southern
Regional Group is held.
- 1951 - The first official meeting of the Philadelphia
Chapter is held on November 16th.
- 1952 - The Washington, D.C. Area Group (later The
Mid-Atlantic Chapter) is formed.
- 1953 - The Pacific Northwest Regional Group is formed.
- 1958 - The North Atlantic Health Sciences Libraries Group is formed.
- 1961 - Pittsburgh Chapter meets on May 11th.
- 1964 - Upstate New York/Ontario Chapter is formed.
- 1965 - Alfred Brandon writes an editorial on the
importance of Regional Groups.
- 1969 - Hawaii Chapter is formed.
- 1969 - After questions regarding nominating procedures are brought to the
floor, the Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Goals and
Structure of MLA is organized.
- 1970 - After heated discussion, bylaws
are amended to permit Regional Groups to present a candidate for consideration
to the MLA Nominating Committee.
- 1971 - Washington DC Area Group of MLA becomes the Mid-Atlantic Chapter
of MLA on October 16th.
- 1972 - In the second report of the Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Goals
and Structure of MLA, Chair Erich Meyerhoff encourages
regional participation in MLA.
- 1972 - States of Arkansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas secede from the
Southern Regional Group to form the South Central Regional Group. Louisiana
also joins this new group, but retains its association with the Southern Regional
- 1973 - South Central Regional Group holds it organizational meeting on April
- 1974 - MLA appoints The Ad Hoc Committee to Study
MLA Group Structure in October.
- 1978 - Membership agrees to the structure recommended by the Ad Hoc Committee
to Study MLA Group Structure. The Ad Hoc Committee
on MLA Group Structure Implementation is named.
- 1979 - The Ad Hoc Committe on MLA Group Structure Implementation,
chaired by Ursula Poland, presents its report.
- 1980 - The Midcontinental Regional Group meets on October 4th.
- 1980 - Bylaws are passed which create The Chapter Council..
- 1981 - Chapter Council meets for the first time on 2 June 1981 - Joan
Ash is elected Chairperson of Chapter Council.
- 1981 - Following implementation of the new MLA Group Structure, all existing
and recognized Regional Groups become Chapters.
- 1981 - Forced by the new Group Structure to choose between the Southern
Chapter and the South Central Chapter, Louisiana opts for the latter.
- 1981 - In November, Chapter Council selects nominees for the MLA Nominating
Committee for the first time.
- 1981 - Chapters are represented at the Executive Board meeting in December
for the first time, when Joan Ash attends as Chapter Council Chair.
- 1983 - Chapters are asked to submit Annual Objectives to Chapter Council.
- 1984 - Madeleine Taylor becomes Chair of Chapter
- 1984 - Chapter Council begins work on its Procedure Manual.
- 1985 - Chapter Chairs meet at the Annual Meeting.
- 1986 - Roseanne Labree becomes Chair of Chapter
- 1986 - Chapter Council Alternates becoming fully working members of the
Council, including participation on Council Committees.
- 1986 - MLA begins a major Strategic Planning effort.
- 1986 - The enthusiastic response to the Chapter Chair meetings makes it
an annual event.
- 1987 - The Chapters and Chapter Council work together in Strategic Planning
- 1987 - Chapter Council sets up a display table in the Exhibit Area during
the Annual Meeting.
- 1989 - Julia Sollenberger becomes Chair of Chapter
- 1989 - Chapter Council sends a liaison to the MLA CE Committee.
- 1990 - A Chapter "Event" (later the Chapter Sharing Roundtable)
is held at the Annual Meeting on 22 May. With 125 attendees, the Event is
deemed a success.
- 1990 - A monthly Chapter News Column is added to MLA News.
- 1991 - The Chapter "Event" becomes the Chapter Sharing Roundtable.
- 1992 - Chapter Council appoints a liaison to the Continuing Education Committee.
Tom Flemming is appointed to this position.
- 1993 - Ada Seltzer becomes Chair of Chapter Council.
- 1993 - The first meeting of Chapter CE Chairs is held at the MLA Annual
- 1993 - Chapter Council members receive email addresses from MLA through
- 1993 - North Atlantic Chapter changes its geographic boundaries, excluding
- 1994 - Chapters vote to incorporate; Chapter Council works to coordinate
- 1994 - Chapter Council appoints a Centennial Work Group.
- 1994 - A listserve for Chapter Council is hosted
at Stanford, by Council member Mary Buttner.
- 1995 - Cindy Goldstein becomes Chair of Chapter
- 1995 - The Chapter Council Listserve moves to MLANet.
- 1996 - The Chapter Council
Home Page is developed.
- 1996 - The first Majors/MLA Chapter Project Award is presented to the Southern
- 1998 - M.J. Tooey becomes Chair of Chapter Council.
- 2001 - Linda Garr Markwell becomes Chair of Chapter Council.
- 2003 - Section and Chapter Councils collaborate on their first joint programming
plenary session for the MLA annual meeting. The program was titled Mentoring:
Sharing Experiences for Professional Growth.
- 2004 - Sarah Gable becomes Chair of Chapter Council.
- 2006 - Chapter Council web pages redesigned and updated. The new Chapter
Council logo is designed.